A U-turn refers to a 180-degree turn to go back. If you turn around, use the leftmost lane or the middle left turn lane (if available). Before you turn around, you should always make sure it is safe and legal. If you have started crossing an intersection or turning a bend, follow instead of changing direction at the last minute. Take a safe turn elsewhere. Exceptions to these rules usually exist in larger areas or on larger roundabouts, where certain lanes for certain destinations can be specified from the roundabout. A good guide is to always be careful and go slowly. Other recommendations I`ve heard are to stay in the leftmost lane no matter where you turn, but this can be dangerous because drivers don`t expect it. Unless prohibited (see above), street parking is generally permitted. If you are parking, there must be a distance of at least 3 metres between your vehicle and the middle of the road or the next lane line. In many places, you can park partially or completely on the sidewalk to meet this requirement, but look for signs that allow it (or other vehicles) before you do. If so, make sure there is enough space on the sidewalk for pedestrians.

Vehicles over 2.8 t are not allowed to park on the sidewalk. Drivers coming from the right usually have the right of way; However, buses and trams always have priority. Holding a cell phone while driving is not allowed, but hands-free calls are. Learning how to turn correctly and safely is a big part of driving – you can`t go anywhere without turning. In this article, we`ll go over everything you need to know about turning, including: In some special situations, U-turns can be controlled using a traffic light, which is the only choice of direction and drivers will not be able to move forward in the specified lane (“U-turn only” lanes). Do not turn around if a dangerous situation could arise while the curve is running. Making an illegal U-turn is a traffic violation. Be sure to check the rules specific to your state so that you know all the situations where it is illegal to turn back. If you are visiting Germany and do not have a place of residence, your own driving licence from your country, state or province of origin is valid in Germany as long as you are there. If you establish residence in Germany, your driving licence is valid for six months from the date of permanent residence, which in practice is generally considered to be the date of your entry into the country.

You must obtain a German driving licence to continue driving after this six-month grace period. If your residency lasts more than six months but less than a year (and you can legally prove this), you can get a six-month extension to use your existing permit. Parking Control Zones The “Parking Exclusion Zone” sign indicates the entrance to an area or neighbourhood where there is a general parking restriction. All roads beyond this sign are included in this restriction, you will pass a “End of Parking Exclusion Zone” sign. On roads where overtaking is difficult or prohibited, traffic should stop as slowly as possible to allow for faster traffic (for this purpose, roadsides or exits are sometimes provided). Bicycle lanes are the latest trend in traffic calming in Germany. The entrance or beginning of a cycle path is indicated by the sign “Fahrradstraße” and the exit or end is indicated by the sign “Ende Fahrradstraße”. These are usually small residential streets that provide connections between the main roads for cyclists.

In most cases, additional signs indicate that motor vehicles are also allowed on these roads, although often in only one direction (whereas bicycles can go in both directions). The “Parking” sign indicates where parking is permitted on roads or points to off-street parking. When used to mark on-street parking spaces, it is usually accompanied by additional signs indicating when parking is allowed, who is allowed to park, or that the use of a parking pass, voucher or penalty disc is required. Further information on finding a parking space in cities and using car parks can be found on the page Driving and parking in German cities. In some Spanish cities, parking is allowed on one side of the street, and side parking is allowed, changing from day to day. The use of mobile phones is prohibited, and in most cases the passage must be on the left side. Spain also has very strict laws on alcohol and driving. If your license has not numbered these attributes, you must have an official translation of your license in addition to the license itself. To do this, you must obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP) in your home country before you leave for Germany.

In the US, these are available at AAA for $20 plus two passport photos. However, I have found that if you speak the language well enough, you can do without IDPs and if you find yourself in a situation where you need a translation, you can always get one from ADAC for about 40 people. If you`re not sure, I recommend getting an ICP before you go – prevention is better than cure. Keep in mind that an IDP does not replace your official driver`s license – it`s just a translation of it into an internationally recognized format. You must have your official license with your PCI for it to be valid. A U-turn while driving refers to the execution of a 180° rotation to reverse the direction of travel. This is called a “U-turn” because the maneuver resembles the letter U. In some areas, the maneuver is illegal, while in others it is treated as a more ordinary twist that is simply prolonged. In still other areas, lanes are sometimes marked with “U-turn allowed” or even “U-turn only”. The rules here are pretty standard: passes should be made on the left; The use of mobile phones is only allowed with a hands-free kit – containing only one phone, even when not in use, is illegal.

The driver and all passengers must wear seat belts. Motorists should be aware of the existence of the cyclist and know that two cyclists can ride next to each other. Vehicles coming from the right have priority, buses have priority at the exit. Trams have priority unless otherwise stated. Tip: Remember to constantly search for traffic during a three-point turn. Never make a three-point turn unless it is safe or prohibited. U-turns are dangerous, so avoid making one unless necessary. Instead of turning around, try turning around by walking around the block or using parking lots or driveways. Some laws you need to keep in mind are that drivers must be at least 18 years old. It is forbidden to cross a double white line.

It is not permitted to turn right at a red light without a green arrow light. It is illegal to pick up hitchhikers. Driving a dirty car, especially if the license plate is covered in mud, can result in a fine. If you have to take the road practice test, it is done by a driving school (not the transportation authority, as is the case in the United States) and takes about an hour to complete. This will most likely involve a short drive on the highway. If you need practice, most driving schools also offer short courses to prepare you for the road test. Once you have passed these tests, take the papers to the traffic office, where you will receive a German driver`s license valid for the rest of your life! A dotted line on your lane when approaching another road indicates that you must yield to traffic on that road (an inverted triangle can also be drawn on the road to indicate that an intersection of yield is in front of you). A double set of dotted lines simply indicates an intersection with a main road, while a single dotted line indicates a smaller road. If you are not affiliated with the U.S. military and will be living in Germany for more than a year, you will need a German driver`s license.

To do this, you must have a valid driving license in your home country and not have lived in Germany for more than three years. The process begins with a visit to the local traffic office. What happens next depends on where you come from. Germany has reciprocal agreements with many American countries and states that allow the conversion of driver`s licenses. If you`re lucky, all you have to do is fill out paperwork (although you might be wondering how lucky you are after finally filling out all the required forms!) Otherwise, you can always go out if you just need to take the written test.